Friday 25 January 2008

Giddy-up Geeta

There is a place in Sri Lanka called Nuwara Eliya, also known as Little England and not surprisingly when I arrive - it's raining!

On quick inspection there's a country club, a golf course and my own personal UK favourite - a racetrack. Ascot it ain't as half of it is dug up and the other half is being used as a cricket pitch, but on this particular day I could just about make out some equestrian activity on the outside track. It seems on Sunday morning's the racetrack is let out to the local pony club for a wee bit of training.

With a distinct lack of actual races during the 'off' season, local gamblers have also got wind of this practice and there's a bit of 'under the table' action going down. And so it is I find myself on a wet Sunday morning screaming my head off as Pippy longstockings and her mates canter the beejesus out of some poor donkeys, all because I've bet about 20p on the outcome.

Am I proud of myself? - No.

Was it morally wrong? Probably.

Did I win? Too damn right I did !!!!

No comments: